Search This Blog

Green Your Diet Series v.5: What is Gelatin?

So, as part of the Green Your Diet series, I will be sharing ingredient definitions with you to let you in one the things you eat and where they come from.

I thought I would start today with an ingredient we all may already know about.

Gelatin: This is a protein derived from the boiling of skin, ligaments, tendons and/or bones in water. Derived from cows or pigs. Gelatin can be found in candies, marshmallows, cake, ice cream and yogurts to name some. Gelatin is used as a thickener and as a coating for nutritional supplements. There are alternatives, you can find plant sources such as pectin from fruit, cotton gum and dextrins.

Check your ingredients, I don't know about you, but no thanks on the gelatin for me, thanks.


(Image:michaelscomments.files.wordpress.com)

2 comments:

adrian2514 said...

Hey! Thanks for the info about Gelatin. I never knew that's where it came from! I was browsing through a bunch of green websites and blogs and I came across yours and found it very interesting. There are a bunch of others I like too, like the daily green, ecorazzi and earthlab.com. I especially like EarthLab.com’s carbon calculator (http://www.earthlab.com/signupprofile/). I find it really easy to use (it doesn’t make me feel guilty after I take it). Are there any others you would recommend? Can you drop me a link to your favorites (let me know if they are the same as mine).

Lindsay said...

Hey Adrian,
I love the sites you listed as well, I also love www.ecollo.com,
www.figandsage.blogspot.com and Treehugger. For a full list of sites and blogs I love see the right side of Urban Branches, I have a spot where I list a bunch!! Keep coming back letting me know if you find more great blogs to check out!
-Lindsay