DIY: Almond-Oat Bars
I found a great recipe in Health magazine that's just delicious and thought I'd share it! I made a batch today, the lovely scent is filling my home as we speak as it cooks in the oven....
1 1/2 cups regular oats
1/4 cup sliced almonds (roughly chopped)
1/2 almond meal (you can use the processor to make this from almonds if you can't find pre-done)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup European style fat free plain yogurt
1/4 honey (dark if you can)
1/2 cup cubed peeled gala or fuji apples
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 and toast 3/4 cup of oats (the rest you can set aside) *lay out on a piece of parchment paper
2. In a food processor add remaining oats (3/4 cup) and almond meal, mix until fine
3. In a large bowl combine: remaining oats, almond meal, wheat flour, brown sugar, backing powder, cinnamon & salt
4. In a small bow combine: honey, yogurt & peeled/cubed apples
5. Combine all ingredients (including toasted oats)
6. Place mixture onto parchment paper and form into rectangle with your hands
7. Cut into small rectangles with knife (don't pull apart, just make the cut lines)
8. Place in oven for approx 20-25 minutes or until nicely browned
9. Let cool and serve up!
*can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days
Here's some nutritional info about this snack: fat 4 grams, protein 4 grams, fiber 2 grams, iron 1 mg, calcium 45 mg, sodium 45 mg.