Locavore, locally sourced, local, we've heard it all....now here's 10 reasons going local is the way to go, or eat rather:
1. Food tastes better! It's newer and fresher!
2. Science says it's better for you, nutrients are lost over time, so the quicker it gets from farm to table the more nutrients are retained
3. It's safer, hopefully. Local farms are held more accountable because of their size, their names really do mean everything to them
4. Local food supports local farms and their families. The amount of traditional farmers in this country has dropped drastically and we've gotta get them back working the land! We don't want machines doing everything do we?
5. Local food builds your community spirit, you are aware of your actions and their impact
6. The more you support local farms, the more farm land will be preserved from being paved over.
7. Local food supports the environment by keeping fuel usage down for example
8. Supporting local farms is like investing in your future and the future of your community. By ensuring your local farms maintain their business against bigger, more machine driven farms.
9. Local farms sell to many places, but the most obvious is your local farmer's market! It's so meaningful buying directly from the farmer, they make more money by dealing with their consumers directly, they cut down on fuel, and like shouting I CARE ABOUT MY FOOD FUTURE to the world!
Support Local Farmers!