There's nothing as satisfying as making something from scratch. Messy, yes, time consuming, yes, but worth it, no doubt. We've been wanting to make homemade pasta for a while, and we had a blast do it. Here's the steps and ingredients you'll need (oh ya, that pasta machine will come in handy!)
You'll need a pasta maker, we got one for a wedding present, and we love it! Good holiday gift!
We have the Imperia Pasta Machine and really love it.
Ingredients: Serves 6
2 1/2 cups flour
4 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon salt
1. Flour your clean work space. Pour flour and make a well (scoop out the center). Add eggs and salt. Gradually work the flour into the eggs, mixing them slowly as you go.
2. After cleaning up your workspace, begin to knead dough for 10 minutes.
3. Shape into a ball, dust all around with flour and place in saran wrap, set aside for 30 minutes to rest.
4. Divide dough into 6 parts (as equal as possible). Begin with 1 piece, flatten as much as possible.
5. Using the pasta machine, feed dough into the widest setting, do this 3 times, then continue with each setting, running the dough through 2 times each until you are at the smallest setting.
* do this with two people, much easier!
*when you have the flatten sheets of dough, flour them so they don't stick to each other.
6. Once all dough has been flattened into sheets, let rest for 10 minutes (by the time you do all of them, the first piece will be ready to be cut)
7. Add the piece to the pasta machine that will cut dough into noodle shapes
8. Run dough through, have a container to catch pasta
9. COOK! Roughly 2-3 minutes in boiling, salted water
ENJOY your homemade creation! Now, if you make your own sauce, you've got it made!