Search This Blog

Where Children Sleep






I love when I see something that makes me take a deep breath and go "hmmmm" and this did just that. I was browsing a cool blog I just discovered called Planet Awesome Kid and saw an article about an amazing book I've gotta go check out next time I'm at the bookstore or library! This book takes my breath away.

I've cut and pasted the article here (directly from Planet Awesome Kid)


A little perspective.
JAMES MOLLISON’s beautiful and fascinating new book. WHERE CHILDREN SLEEP tells the diverse stories of children around the world, through portraits and pictures of their bedrooms. Inspired by the quote “all children are born equal” Mollison has created a collection of photographs which proves this statement to be definitely incorrect. The Children are all between 4-17 but their backgrounds and futures couldn’t be more different. There is Bilal, the Bedouin shepheard boy who sleeps with his father’s heard of goats; Kaya in Tokyo whose proud mother spends $1,000 per month on her dresses; Indira, a Nepalese girl who has worked in a granite quarry since she was three years old and Ankhohxet, the Kraho boy who sleeps on the floor of a hut in the Amazon.
Shot over four years Mollison thought about his own childhood experiences, “When asked to come up with an idea for engaging with children’s rights, I found myself thinking about my bedroom: how significant it was during my childhood, and how it reflected what I had and who I was. it occurred to me that a way to address some of the complex situations and social issues affecting children would be to look at the bedrooms of children in all kinds of different circumstances.”
Where Children Sleep is published by Chris Boot. For more details or to buy a copy visit www.chrisboot.com

Every parent and child should look at this book together.
It should be noted that the book is written and presented for an audience of 9-13 year olds- intended to interest and engage in the details of the lives of other children around the world.

(Images all from Planet Awesome Kids, thanks!)

1 comment:

Dani said...

Wow. This book does look really awesome! Thanks for sharing it.