Happy Earth Day!!!
From Wikipedia: Earth Day, celebrated April 22, is a day designed to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth's environment. It is held annually during both spring in the northern hemisphere and autumn in the southern hemisphere. It was founded by U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson as an environmental teach-in in 1970 and is celebrated in many countries every year.
The United Nations celebrates an Earth Day each year on the March equinox, a tradition which was founded by peace activist John McConnell in 1969.
Now that you know the history here are some ways to celebrate today:
- Take a long walk as close to nature as possible, if you're in a city, spend some time in your local park. Enjoy nature's bounty!
- Plan a vegetarian meal for dinner, or hit up your local vegetarian cafe to indulge in some delicious earth friendly bites.
- Turn of your lights and dine by candlelight tonight
- Take the step to help your office recycle better, make sure the bins are being emptied by the right person. Trust me, I've lived through this, a blue recycle bin doesn't always end up where you think!
- Bring your own bag lunch to work today, and make sure you're using reusable containers and bringing your own cutlery. Oh,and obviously you own reusable water container!
- When you pick up your morning coffee make sure you're ordering the fair trade beans and ask for the organic milk. If they don't have it, take yourself to the next cafe!
- Unplug anything you're not using, no literally do it right now! Could be your phone charger (while it's not charging), a light on you don't need or the printer that can be turned on throughout the day when needed.
- Wish someone Happy Earth Day and ask what they are doing to help the environment and honor Mother Nature.
- Rent An Inconvenient Truth, Planet Earth, Earthlings or another eco-minding flick tonight.
- Schedule an organic/local pot luck dinner for friends this coming weekend. Make it a rule that all ingredients must be organic and locally sourced.
- Avoid processed food today, eat only pure ingredients, that means fruits, veggies and whole grains. You'll feel healthier and maybe start a trend.