Search This Blog

CSA Pickup: Moi!

A friend was out of town for the weekend, so she lovingly gave us her CSA (community supported agriculture) pickup that week. It included flowers, a dozen eggs and more fruit and veggies than I could carry! Needless to say I squashed a green heirloom tomato against my side while walking and it dribbled down my dress and leg, lovely! It was all worth it though once I got home, cleaned up and surveyed my goodies.

While Kevin and I are quite content shopping for local fruits and veggies in our neighborhood, I highly recommend this as a great way to support local farmers and get fresh and delicious food. If we couldn't get locally grown food so easily in our hood, I'd do this in a heartbeat! The experience of the CSA pickup is nice, you feel a part of something larger than yourself, you feel almost privileged, that you are in fact "allowed" to choose amazing looking fruits and veggies from the bins, at least that's how I felt. And it felt great!

Here are some photos to enjoy:





1 comment:

Unknown said...

YES! Isn't the experience great? The gals at The Lunchbox go to the Urban Harvest farmers' market each Saturday up in Houston and pick up wonderful farm fresh produce for 20 people each week. It costs $20 a "box" and is full of items that you wouldn't normally try...eggplant, asian green beans, patty pan squash, lemonbalm. Wonderful stuff indeed! I'm so glad you and Kevin had the opportunity to do this.