Search This Blog

Eco-Mama Mariah Post: CSA + Homemade Almond Milk




Community Supported Agriculture & almonds

This week I joined a CSA share. I am terribly excited! I've never had a share of my "own" and I feel its a big step towards truely investing in the land around you. Ie: hyper local! Support a farm, chose organic and get cooking. I found this farm through the MOFGA website under 'Maine CSA Directory'. (Search for CSA and Farm directories in your area, by county). 
Loving the name of it, New Beat Farm. They are certified Organic by MOFGA and use horse power.  Best of all is that they drop off on Munjoy Hill. I get to walk 3 blocks and have my share?! Done deal. I was looking for ways to lessen the "chore" of certain tasks in my life and this became clearly the way to go for me. Couldn't be happier than a clam in mud, new england mud. Also biggest highlight is showing my daughter the fruits of the earth and meeting other farmers. Now, spring, where are you?!

Next up we have homemade almond milk. I made one batch: 3 cups milk created from just 1 cup of almonds! Total cost: under $2.00. It took all of an overnight soak and then some blending. Preferable you will chose unsalted raw almonds, but it does not matter entirely. I used roasted unsalted ones.

**(insert both pictures)**

Homemade Almond Milk

Makes 3 cups

Making your own almond milk is very easy, just plan ahead to allow time for soaking the almonds.

Ingredients

1 cup almonds
Water

Method

Put almonds in a bowl and cover by several inches with cold water. Cover and set aside at room temperature to soak overnight or 10 to 12 hours.

Drain and rinse almonds. In a high speed blender, blend almonds with 3 cups water until thoroughly combined. The mixture will be very frothy. Strain through cheese cloth, a fine strainer or a nut milk bag. Store almond milk in  refrigerator and use within 3 days. Stir before using.
Nutrition
Per serving (about 1cup/ 9oz/258g-wt.): 90 calories (35 from fat), 4g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 13g total carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 12g sugar), 2g protein


**suggestion: for added sweetness, I would blend 1 tbl honey into the mix, and maybe a pinch of cinnamon. Almond milk is straight up un-sweet, real-deal. But it is good and oh so good for you!
as always, love from Portland, Maine Eco-Mama,
Mariah

No comments: