Search This Blog

Do it Gorgeously! {Review}


When 'Do It Gorgeously' by Sophie Uliano arrived in my tiny little mailbox I thought, great another DIY book I'll never use that I've gotta review. Boy was I wrong!

A few nights ago I settled into bed after putting little Juliette to sleep, I pulled open the first pages and fell instantly in love with Sophie and her mission.

Her latest book (her first hit Gorgeously Green) tackles the everyday needs of the household, ranging from DIY household cleaning products, facial care, baby care to fun fashion how to's. All the while focusing on creating toxin free, less expensive and better products. With a chic and sassy edge of course. She does an amazing job of making the unimaginable seem easy, listing where to get all the items you'll need to make and create everything in her book.

I've already dogeared a handful of pages and have lots of mini projects to begin thanks to her no nonsense easy instructions, many with accompanying illustrations. Here are some of my favorites:

Natural Deodorizer p.89
"Once a week, pour 1/2 cup borax powder into your diaper pail, leave for half an hour, then shake the borax into your trash can." Our diaper pail has been extra offensive lately and this tip couldn't have come quicker. Borax is on the top of my shopping list!

Homemade Almond Milk p.209
1 cup raw almonds & Filtered Water

1. Put the Almonds in a glass bowl or pitcher with 4 cups of water and place in the fridge overnight
2. Rinse with water, then put in the blender with filtered water
3. Strain the mixture through cheesecloth into a pitcher
4. If you want to make it sweeter, you can put it back in the blender and add 3 or 4 dates (they must be soaked in water for a couple of hours), or make a delicious gorgeously green shake by adding half a banana, 1 tsp. of any leafy green, and 1 tsp. of agave syrup

There are dozens upon dozens of amazing ideas in here including recipes for organic teething biscuits, milk paint, leather protector, baby wipes, mint jelly and my favorite the baby pillowcase nightgown! In addition to tons of recipes there's easy to follow instructions for making things such as a sassy apron, compost bin, boiled wool mittens, a medicinal garden, a bookcase and homemade drapes. Phew I'm exhausted just listing these!

Once I've tackled those, I plan on making Juliette a Lavender Cashmere Comfort Bear out of an old cashmere sweater and some dried lavender flowers!

Run don't walk to Pre-order Do it Gorgeously from Amazon or log on after June 1st to get your copy! This isn't the last you'll hear from me on this book, I'll post tips and stories as I create!

Also, check out her site!

No comments: